Yesterday, during the keynote of its annual TechEd event, delivered by Brad Anderson, Corporate VP of Windows Server and System Center at Microsoft several Microsoft Azure related announcements were made. Besides announcing a technical preview of Microsoft Azure RemoteApp, which cloudcomputing.info covered yesterday, several other announcements were made.
Microsoft Azure Site Recovery expected to go in preview in June this year, which is the new name for Hyper-V Recovery Manager, which was released in January this year. Site Recovery is a cloud based service which coordinates failover and failback between two Microsoft System Center 2012 managed datacenters. Site Recovery will provide the option to failover a site with Virtual Machine Manager managed VM’s based on Hyper-V to Microsoft Azure. Some more information about Site Recovery is available on the blog of Marcel van den Berg.
Microsoft Azure Antimalware, a security extension for the VM agent offering support for antimalware agents from Microsoft (Antimalware), Symantec (Endpoint Protection) and Trend Micro (Deep Security Agent).
Microsoft Azure ExpressRoute, generally available offering Multiple Site-to-Site VPNs, VNET-to-VNET Secure Connectivity, Reserved IPs, Internal Load Balancing using existing network providers like AT&T, Equinix, Verizon, BT, and Level3. New partnerships were announced with TelecityGroup, SingTel and Zadara as well. This allows customers to connect to Microsoft Azure using private fiber connectivity therefore not having to use the internet.
Besides these announcements, Microsoft also announced and released serveral other new features, which are detailed in this blogpost by Scott Guthrie.
- Storage: General Availability of Import/Export service and preview of new SMB file sharing support
- Remote App: Public preview of Remote App Service – run client apps in the cloud
- API Management: Preview of the new Azure API Management Service
- Hybrid Connections: Easily integrate Azure Web Sites and Mobile Services with on-premises data+apps (free tier included)
- Cache: Preview of new Redis Cache Service
- Store: Support for Enterprise Agreement customers and channel partners