OpenStack, the open source cloud computing project has released its 10th version of its IaaS platform for public, private and hybrid clouds. This version has 342 new features and 3,219 bug fixes to support software development, big data analysis and application infrastructure at scale. Currently 1.419 individuals are contributing to the project.
The Juno release adds storage policies, a new data processing service that provisions Hadoop and Spark, and lays the foundation for OpenStack to be the platform for Network Functions Virtualization (NFV).
New features are described in detail in the release notes, main new features are:
- Network Functions Virtualization (NFV)
- Improvements for rescue mode
- Per-network setting on nova-network code.
- Bare metal as a service (Ironic)
- Docker support through StackForge
- Additional improvements to support scheduling and live upgrades
Object Storage (Swift)
- Storage policies
- Updated support for the Identity project (Keystone)
- Account to account copy feature rollout.
Block Storage (Cinder)
- Block Storage added ten new storage backends this release and improved testing on third-party storage systems.
- Cinder v2 API integration into Nova was also completed this cycle.
- Networking features support for IPv6 and better third-party driver testing
- Plug-ins for the back-end implementation of the OpenStack Networking API
- Migration from nova-network to Neutron
- Layer 3 High Availability, the networking layer now allows a distributed operational mode.
- Ability to deploy Apache Hadoop clusters in seconds
- RBAC system to support OpenStack projects Compute, Networking, and Orchestration
Identity Service (Keystone)
- Federated authentication improvements
- Use multiple identity backends
- Easier to roll back a failed deployment and ensure thorough cleanup
- Administrators can delegate resource creation privileges to non-administrative users.
- New resource types
- Improved scalability
- Increases in performance
- Efficiency improvements including metering of some types of networking services such as load balancers, firewalls and VPNs as a service
Database Service (Trove)
- New options for MySQL replication, Mongo clustering, Postgres, and Couchbase
Image Service (Glance)
- The Image Service introduced artifacts as a broader definition for images during Juno
- Asynchronous processing
- Metadata Definitions Catalog
- Restricted policies for downloading images
Data Processing (Sahara)
- Automated provisioning and management of big data clusters using Hadoop and Spark.