The Pivotal Initiative is the organization, born in December 2012 from the merge of EMC and VMware cloud application and big data offerings and well known for Pivotal CF (Cloud Foundry), its commercially supported hybrid Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) based on Cloud Foundry, which it first launched in November 2013.
Last week Pivotal announced that version 1.3 of its Pivotal CF is now generally available, introducing the following new functionality:
- Multiple Availability Zones. Operators can set application instances to automatically deploy and distribute over multiple availability zones enabling apps to tolerate significant infrastructure failures with continuous availability.
- Multiple Networks. Operators can isolate Pivotal CF products and applications on different networks.
- Security Groups. Fine grained, policy-based network access whitelists regulate application access to certain networks.
- On-Demand Access to Enterprise Hadoop. Build applications leveraging data in the enterprise Business Data Lake.
- Audit and Usage Dashboard for Platform Administrators. Dynamically updated usage reports, application status, events and logs for more visibility and control of both app behavior and resource consumption.
- New and Updated Pivotal CF Data Services
- New Commercially Supported Buildpacks
- Introducing Internationalization & Localization. French, Mandarin, Portuguese, and Spanish languages support in the CLI, in addition to English.