ManageIQ was acquired from Red Hat in December 2012 with the plan to release its flagship cloud management platform under maintenance as CloudForms and as an open source project retaining the original name.
Yesterday Red Hat announced the first open source GA release called ManageIQ Anand, introducing a naming convention bonded to chess grandmasters, introducing the following features:
- Supported providers: AWS, VMware VSphere, OpenStack, Microsoft SCVMM, RHEV/oVirt
- External auth (LDAP)
- Many, many fixes and rewrites to replace proprietary libraries in the older releases
The ManageIQ Management Engine provide most of the requirements of a cloud management platform as Gartner defines it:
- Insight: Discovery, Monitoring, Utilization, Performance, Reporting, Analytics, Chargeback, and Trending.
- Control: Security, Compliance, Alerting, and Policy-Based Resource, and Configuration Enforcement.
- Automate: IT Process, Task and Event, Provisioning, and Workload Management and Orchestration.
- Integrate: Systems Management, Tools and Processes, Event Consoles, Configuration Management Database (CMDB), Role-based Administration (RBA), and Web Services.
You can download and try Manage IQ Anand at the following link, the next release called Botvinnik will follow a 6-month release cycle.