Virtual Bridges can claim a significative history in the VDI market, starting with its Win4VDI and reaching VERDE, sold also in partnership with IBM.
This week the company announced the immediate availability of its new cloud orchestration system called Bridgepoint.
Bridgepoint is described as an agnostic solution, specifically intended for virtual desktops and able to leverage existing VMware and OpenStack infrastructures to deploy and manage virtual workloads including the possibility to migrate between these two environments and even public or hybrid clouds, this new product makes guess that the company is riding the vendor lock-in phenomenon that once again facing in the private cloud market as in other IT’s markets in the past.
The system is delivered as a self-deploying virtual appliance compatible with both OpenStack (Havana and Grizzly) and VMware (vSphere from 5.1 to 5.5 U1) and consists of six components described as follows:
- Management Interface – enables enterprise architects and operations teams to easily configure cloud desktop orchestration inline with their enterprise-specific clouds and virtual workload needs
- Cloud Orchestration Engine – initiates, manages, and maintains the full feature-set of cloud enabled resources across multiple environments
- Chargeback and Reporting – enables IT admins to efficiently track and display desktop activity, resource utilization and trending for both chargeback and showback scenarios
- Smart Brokering – serves as the central communications hub for cloud tenants, automatically interpreting the differences in protocols and access methods in efficiently routing traffic to the appropriate clouds, hosts and storage subsystems
- Monitoring – provides efficient tracking of cloud APIs, compute nodes, networks, storage and SLAs of all end user devices.
- Storage Management – manages and optimizes storage consumption and allocation across cloud resources, reducing the total cost of ownership by minimizing the storage footprint and increasing user satisfaction by optimizing for speed
Bridgepoint supports as guest OSes Windows 7, 8 and 2008 (both 32 and 64bit), Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.5, 5.6, 6, Centos 6.1+ and Ubuntu 10.04, 12.04; is available immediately for a 30 day free trial, for up to 25 seats at this free trial page.