RightScale today announced that its working on an Appliance for VMware vSphere. It provides a simple, lightweight option for brining cloud features of vSphere environments. It presents a compute cloud API on top of VMware vSphere and adds cloud capabilities so that a vSphere environment can be managed as if it were an on-premise private cloud.
In combination with RightScale Cloud Portfolio Management, it will enable enterprises to seamlessly manage applications across supported public and private clouds as well vSphere environments.
The Cloud Appliance can deliver:
- A simple REST-based cloud API
- Exposing of cloud-like constructs such as instance types (small, medium, and large, for example) which don’t exist in a vSphere environment
- Using the APIs, RightScale Cloud Portfolio Management can provide a single pane of glass across vSphere and other public cloud environments
- Create a cloud-like multi-tenant environment from existing vSphere resource pools
- Enable lifecycle management of new and existing workloads
RightScale Cloud Appliance for vSphere supports vSphere 5.1 and 5.5 environments and is currently in limited availability (beta). It is expected to be generally available in the second quarter of 2014.