Apprenda has announced version 4.0 of its Microsoft .NET Platform-as-a-Service Solution (PaaS) product which is also called Apprenda. Apprenda which is actually an application server and container for .NET applications can run in hybrid-cloud environments, and now supports Windows Server 2012. An application running on Apprenda is one that is composed of some number of traditional ASP.NET or Silverlight UIs, Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) web services, and SQL Server-based databases.
Apprenda is licensed in 2 free editions, ApprendaCloud which is a hosted solution and Apprenda Express which has some limitations compared to Apprenda, the paid version based on an annual subscription.
Version 4.0 provides the following new capabilities:
- Hybrid Cloud Support, where applications can be deployed off- or on-premise or across those two
- Application Deployment Policy support, so that IT can define and automate how applications are assigned to infrastructure
- Support for multi-tenant queues
- Automatic re-configuration of apps across dev/test and production
- Support for Windows Services as part of an applications.
- Support for Windows Server 2012
- Support for SQL Server 2012
- Support for .NET framework 4.5
- Extension to access Apprenda directly from Visual Studio
- Improvements and full automation of platform deployment and upgrade capabilities