With an announcement at the latest Interop conference in Las Vegas and a press release, Intel’s McAfee launched its Cloud Security Platform. The initiative is basically a bundle of different security products meant to integrate with companies’ cloud strategy.
The different modules will eventually be part of a fully integrated platform, complete with APIs and a common interface, supporting various deployment models (hybrid, SaaS and on-premises).
Quoting McAfee websites, the modules currently integrated in the platform are:
- Web Security – McAfee Web Security provides bi-directional protection for both incoming and outgoing web traffic through proactive reputation- and intent-based protection.
- Mobile Security – Web traffic generated by smart phones and tablets can be directed through the McAfee Web Gateway using standard device management. This ensures that mobile devices are secured with advanced anti-malware protection and corporate web filtering policies.
- Cloud Access Control – Intel® Expressway Cloud Access 360, helps enable an Enterprise or Cloud Provider to provide comprehensive access control for cloud applications using Enterprise identities.
- Email Security – McAfee Email Security delivers total email protection, integrating comprehensive inbound threat protection with outbound data loss prevention.
- Web Services Security – The Intel® Expressway Service Gateway offloads application level API security, data transformation, REST to SOAP mediation, and identity token exchange, to a high speed gateway at the network edge or in the cloud.
The Data Loss Prevention tool is also part of the initiative, even though at least initially is not one of the key modules.
For now, however, the bundle seems to be little more than a label joining various different initiatives, with little new added value.