Microsoft has released Service Pack 1 for its private cloud management suite System Center. The news was initially posted at a TechNet forum by a Microsoft employee working in the System Center division, and later was verified by Mary Jo Foley working at ZDNet. General Availability is expected in January 2013.
Service Pack 1 is applicable to System Center 2012 which was released in April this year, mainly provides the support for managing and installation on top of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8, the OS products which Microsoft released in August this year. In September Microsoft released a public Beta of the Service Pack 1 release.
System Center 2012 is a suite which contains multiple products, before the release of System Center 2012 these products were sold and licensed separately, but now Microsoft provides the tools in a Suite license only. System Center 2012 contains the following products:
- Configuration Manager, for IT asset management
- Operations Manager, for monitoring
- Service Manager for IT process management
- Virtual Machine Manager for Virtual Machine management and services deployment
- Orchestrator for orchestration across the System Center products and 3rd party products
- Data Protection Manager for Backup and Disaster Recovery
- App Controller for providing self service management of Microsoft private and public clouds
Besides the support for installing the products on top of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 and support for Microsoft SQL Server2012 Microsoft also releases some additional functionality in each of the products. All of the changes are detailed in the “What’s new in System Center 2013 SP1” section which can be found on Microsoft TechNet.
- Clients for Mac, Linux and Unix
- Windows PowerShell cmdlets
- Support for installing Windows 8 applications (.appx files) or links to the Windows Store
- Support for a distribution point hosted on Azure
- Integration with Windows Intune (Microsofts SaaS equivalent of Configuration Manager)
- Support for Microsoft Application Virtualization version 5.0 (released in November this year)
- Integrated the functionality of the former Windows Embedded Device Manager for managing Windows installations containing so called write filters.
- Application Performance Monitoring improvements including Monitoring of Windows Services build on the .NET Framework and Automatic Discovery of ASP.NET, MVC3 and MVC4 Applications
- Integration with Team Foundation Server
- Management packs for monitoring Windows Server 2012 and IIS 8
- Audit Collection Services (ACS) support for Dynamic Access Control
- Support for monitoring CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu Linux
- Chargeback, to apply cloud-based pricing on Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) fabric
- Improved Operations Manager integration
Virtual Machine Manager:
- Support for all the new network functionality released in Windows Server 2012 (network virtualization, extensible switch)
- VHDX Support
- Support for SMB 3.0 file shares
- Support for SMS-S CIM-XML and SMP storage providers
- Service Provider Foundation (SPF), a web service acting as a intermediary between web-based administration client and server applications, supporting REST-based requests using the OData protocol (more information here)
- Exchange Administrator and Exchange Users Integration Pack
- Representational State Transfer (REST) Integration Pack Guide
- Updated Integration Packs for Active Directory, HP Service Manager, Operations Manager, Virtual Machine Manager and VMware vSphere.
Data Protection Manager:
- Support for CSV 2.0
- Hyper-V protection over remote SMB share
- Support for Hyper-V Live Migration
- Protection of Windows 8 deduplicated volumes
- Integration with Windows Azure Online Backup (more info here)
- Support for protection of SQL Server 2012 DBs using AlwaysOn
- Support for hosting the DPM database on a stand-alone instance of SQL Server 2012
- Support for protecting file servers which use the Resilient File System (ReFS)
- Support to deploy, manage and operate Windows Azure VMs
- Support for uploading VMs from private to public cloud
- Support for connecting to a hosting provider using VMM clouds.
As a consultant working daily with the System Center products I want to note the following:
Although Microsoft is providing more and more integration in the System Center products, you can still notice that the products are written by different product teams which still provides obstacles for true integration of all the products.
I also think that especially the Operations Manager and Service Manager products have much to high system requirements, especially if you compare it to similar solutions which are provided by a simple Virtual Appliance which you can download and configure on the fly.
Even though Virtual Machine manager now supports the multi-tenant functionality in Windows Server 2012 and the so called Service Provider Foundation web service, the other products aren’t written for true multi-tenant support, a must-have for Service Providers offering services managed by System Center to customers.
Microsoft is progressing though at building an integrated Private Cloud management suite, in order to this though, Microsoft needs to speed up its release cycles and provide more updates to the product.
blog comments powered by Disqus
cloudcomputing.info Newest articles
February 27th, 2014
In these days IBM launched its new hybrid cloud offering called IBM Platform Computing Cloud Service.
The service, that runs on IBM SoftLayer infrastructure, integrates IBM Platform LSF and Platform…
February 25th, 2014
Citrix has released version 2.2. of its cloud services delivery and business management platform CloudPortal Business Manager. Version 2.2. is the follow-up of version 2.1. which was released in September…
February 25th, 2014
VMware vCloud Hybrid Service is the VMware’s owned and operated public Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) service, launched in 2013 in US only ,was running in beta on a single…
February 19th, 2014
On February 18, Virtual Bridges provider of desktop virtualization solution, announced to have become Corporate Sponsor of the OpenStack Foundation, the organization which aims to develop and distribute the…
February 18th, 2014
Xervmon, a start up headquartered in Houston with development center in India, provider of a integrated cloud management tool, announced the availability of its product: Xervmon Management & Monitoring…
February 13th, 2014
Promox Server Solutions GmbH headquartered in Vienna, Austria announced to have joined the Linux Foundation, a non-profit technology institution founded 2007 supporting the development of Linux and open sources companies….
February 11th, 2014
Cloud Cruiser is a cost analysis tool targeted at enterprises and service providers. It provides features like showback, chargeback, reporting. It is able to compare different cloud platforms on costs…
February 11th, 2014
Privately held, venture funded company based in New York Datadog, announced to have raised $15 million in a Series B round led by OpenView Venture Partners with investments from…
January 31st, 2014
Microsoft added two new instances which are targeted at high performance computing. Instance called A8 has 8 virtual cores with 56 GB of internal memory. Instance A9 has 16 virtual…
January 30th, 2014
VMware has released a paper titled: "VMware vCloud Automation Center 6.0 Reference Architecture", the paper which contains 21 pages provides recommendations about deployment topology, hardware specifications and scalability for vCloud…
January 28th, 2014
Microsoft has announced that it will contribute to the Open Compute Project a community whose mission is to design and enable the delivery of the most efficient server, storage and…
January 27th, 2014
Microsoft last week announced that it will lower storage prices in Windows Azure, in order to match the storage prices from Amazon, which announced reduction of storage prices earlier this…
January 24th, 2014
IBM last week announced that it will commit over $ 1.2 billion in order to expand its global cloud footprint. IBM plans to have cloud facilities in major geographies and…
January 24th, 2014
Microsoft has made available for download the Windows Server 2012 R2 Private Cloud Virtualization and Storage Poster and Mini-Posters. The posters provide a visual reference for understanding key private cloud…