Microsoft has released Service Pack 1 for its private cloud management suite System Center. The news was initially posted at a TechNet forum by a Microsoft employee working in the System Center division, and later was verified by Mary Jo Foley working at ZDNet. General Availability is expected in January 2013.
Service Pack 1 is applicable to System Center 2012 which was released in April this year, mainly provides the support for managing and installation on top of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8, the OS products which Microsoft released in August this year. In September Microsoft released a public Beta of the Service Pack 1 release.
System Center 2012 is a suite which contains multiple products, before the release of System Center 2012 these products were sold and licensed separately, but now Microsoft provides the tools in a Suite license only. System Center 2012 contains the following products:
- Configuration Manager, for IT asset management
- Operations Manager, for monitoring
- Service Manager for IT process management
- Virtual Machine Manager for Virtual Machine management and services deployment
- Orchestrator for orchestration across the System Center products and 3rd party products
- Data Protection Manager for Backup and Disaster Recovery
- App Controller for providing self service management of Microsoft private and public clouds
Besides the support for installing the products on top of Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 and support for Microsoft SQL Server2012 Microsoft also releases some additional functionality in each of the products. All of the changes are detailed in the “What’s new in System Center 2013 SP1” section which can be found on Microsoft TechNet.
- Clients for Mac, Linux and Unix
- Windows PowerShell cmdlets
- Support for installing Windows 8 applications (.appx files) or links to the Windows Store
- Support for a distribution point hosted on Azure
- Integration with Windows Intune (Microsofts SaaS equivalent of Configuration Manager)
- Support for Microsoft Application Virtualization version 5.0 (released in November this year)
- Integrated the functionality of the former Windows Embedded Device Manager for managing Windows installations containing so called write filters.
- Application Performance Monitoring improvements including Monitoring of Windows Services build on the .NET Framework and Automatic Discovery of ASP.NET, MVC3 and MVC4 Applications
- Integration with Team Foundation Server
- Management packs for monitoring Windows Server 2012 and IIS 8
- Audit Collection Services (ACS) support for Dynamic Access Control
- Support for monitoring CentOS, Debian and Ubuntu Linux
- Chargeback, to apply cloud-based pricing on Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) fabric
- Improved Operations Manager integration
Virtual Machine Manager:
- Support for all the new network functionality released in Windows Server 2012 (network virtualization, extensible switch)
- VHDX Support
- Support for SMB 3.0 file shares
- Support for SMS-S CIM-XML and SMP storage providers
- Service Provider Foundation (SPF), a web service acting as a intermediary between web-based administration client and server applications, supporting REST-based requests using the OData protocol (more information here)
- Exchange Administrator and Exchange Users Integration Pack
- Representational State Transfer (REST) Integration Pack Guide
- Updated Integration Packs for Active Directory, HP Service Manager, Operations Manager, Virtual Machine Manager and VMware vSphere.
Data Protection Manager:
- Support for CSV 2.0
- Hyper-V protection over remote SMB share
- Support for Hyper-V Live Migration
- Protection of Windows 8 deduplicated volumes
- Integration with Windows Azure Online Backup (more info here)
- Support for protection of SQL Server 2012 DBs using AlwaysOn
- Support for hosting the DPM database on a stand-alone instance of SQL Server 2012
- Support for protecting file servers which use the Resilient File System (ReFS)
- Support to deploy, manage and operate Windows Azure VMs
- Support for uploading VMs from private to public cloud
- Support for connecting to a hosting provider using VMM clouds.
As a consultant working daily with the System Center products I want to note the following:
Although Microsoft is providing more and more integration in the System Center products, you can still notice that the products are written by different product teams which still provides obstacles for true integration of all the products.
I also think that especially the Operations Manager and Service Manager products have much to high system requirements, especially if you compare it to similar solutions which are provided by a simple Virtual Appliance which you can download and configure on the fly.
Even though Virtual Machine manager now supports the multi-tenant functionality in Windows Server 2012 and the so called Service Provider Foundation web service, the other products aren’t written for true multi-tenant support, a must-have for Service Providers offering services managed by System Center to customers.
Microsoft is progressing though at building an integrated Private Cloud management suite, in order to this though, Microsoft needs to speed up its release cycles and provide more updates to the product.
blog comments powered by Disqus
cloudcomputing.info Newest articles
November 27th, 2014
VMware has released a paper titled:"Creating a VMware Software-Defined Data Center". The paper which contains 29 pages describes a reference architecture for a Software Defined Data Center (SDDC) using VMware…
November 20th, 2014
Today, November 20, IBM announced an interesting update to its PaaS (Platform as a Service) Bluemix. The new “Dedicated” offering allows developers to create applications and deploy them in a…
November 20th, 2014
Microsoft has published a series of blog articles called the "Microsoft Infrastructure as a Service Foundations". The goal of the Infrastructure-as-a-Service (IaaS) Foundations series is to help enterprise IT…
November 17th, 2014
The Day 2 at AWS re:Invent in Las Vegas saw on stage Verner Vogels, amazon.com CTO, in a keynote mostly focused on devs.
Two the key announcements:
Amazon EC2 Container…
November 13th, 2014
Yesterday at AWS re:Invent 2014 in Las Vegas, Andy Jassy (SVP, Amazon Web Services) announced, as expected, a set of new products and services that will be available to Amazon’s…
November 12th, 2014
Puppet Labs has released version 3.7 of its Puppet Enterprise. Puppet Enterprise is a Configuration Management platform using a model based, declarative approach build on top of Puppet which…
November 11th, 2014
With Integration Platform as a Service (iPaaS), Gartner defines a cloud-based service that offers integration to, from and whitin an on premises counterpart.
With the announcement of OpenShift Enterprise 2.2…
November 4th, 2014
Midokura is a Japanese startup that released, back in 2013, MidoNet a network virtualization solution for OpenStack.
Yesterday, at OpenStack Summit in Paris, the company announced the decision to…
November 3rd, 2014
Red Hat today announced the release of version 5 of its systems management solution for Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) private clouds based on the OpenStack platform, supporting OpenStack, Amazon…
October 30th, 2014
Amazon has released the AWS System Manager for Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager (SCVMM). AWS System Manager is an add-in for SCVMM which allows customers to monitor and manager…
October 28th, 2014
Microsoft has released Update Rollup (UR) 4 for its System Center Suite of products. The update rollup can be installed on top of System Center 2012 R2 products and is…
October 28th, 2014
In May HP (soon Hewlett-Packard Enterprise) announced the plan to build an offer based on its own OpenStack distribution, codename Helion, supported over the next two years from a $1…
October 28th, 2014
This week Microsoft is holding its annual TechEd Europe conference in Barcelona Spain. During the keynote which was held today Microsoft made several announcements. This posts gives an overview of…
October 24th, 2014
On October 22, Citrix announced its financial results for the third quarter of fiscal year 2014, ended September 30, 2014.
The revenues for the third quarter were $759 million for…